Lelb Werblowsky tobacco and cigarette factory, built in 1917, operated until the end of the XX century. During the post-war period, a camp for German war prisoners, who cleaned the city from rubble, was established here for a short time. Since 2000, when the tobacco factory was moved to FEZ, the building was abandoned and unheated. The tobacco company Philip Morris sold the building to Klaipeda City Municipality for a symbolic price of 1 LTL. Over a period of nearly 10 years, the tobacco factory was transformed into a culture factory.
The creative incubator Culture Factory is located in the very heart of Klaipeda Old Town, near the historic Jonas Hill and the Dane river.
Culture Factory is an incubator for modern performing arts and creative businesses. Art and business initiatives are successfully coordinated, favourable conditions are created for young art professionals to carry out their ongoing activities (especially in the field of performing arts), innovative start-up businesses are established and a platform for promising creators is formed in the first creative industries centre in the region. A variety of cultural and entrepreneurial activities are organized in the multifunctional spaces of the Culture Factory: theatre performances, festivals, conferences, educational seminars, film and fashion events. Lease of various spaces and event organization services are provided for companies and residents.
Each day, new ideas, business plans and sensitive artistic performances are born here. And all of these things happen in a single place - the Culture Factory!
Culture Factory's multifunctional spaces include:
- 2 representative multifunctional spaces for cultural events and rehearsals,
- 2 halls for conferences and seminars,
- professionally equipped cinema with 120 seats,
- 9 spacious office studios for creative and managerial work,
- creative industries co-working hub on the 4th floor, where individual workplaces are leased,
- gallery space on the 1st floor,
- 2 spacious lobbies, roof and outdoor terraces for work and leisure,
- café-club (private operator - tenant),
- basement premises, basement lobby, locker-room, technical premises.
Total area of the former tobacco factory complex after reconstruction - 3932 sq. m., used area – 2896 sq. m.
Constantly improved and developed... we experiment, adapt our spaces and grow our creative community.